Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thrifty Art

In the last couple of weeks I've thrifted several nice pieces of art. It got me thinking, the majority of the art in my home has come from yard sales, flea markets or thrift stores. My latest scores have come from the Goodwill. I've sorted through alot of tacky "art" at the Goodwill. Who buys that stuff in the first place ?!? Oddly, our Goodwill seems to have an abundance of duck and palm tree themed pictures (although not on the same canvas, thankfully). Flea markets and yard sales consistently have higher quality pieces but also have higher prices. An often heard line at the flea market is.... "the frame alone would cost you that much new".

Artist signed photograph: Goodwill - $5.25

Poster awaiting frame: Goodwill - $2.25

Artist signed and numbered print: flea market $10

Growing collection of black and white photography
Total cost: $15

Faux wood mirror: flea market - $10

Grand Canyon Lithograph: flea market $5

Today's find: a 1970's 12" Replogle 'World Premier' globe.......and it lights up! I found it at an estate sale down the street. It was their second day so everything was 50% off. I wouldn't have bought it for $28 but I couldn't resist for $14. It's so cool when its plugged it! Maps and globes are great to decorate with. They're cheap, colorful and fun to look at and dream about where you want to go :)
Plugged


Unplugged

Linking up with Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday!

8 comments:

  1. Great finds! I love the globe.
    Speaking of frames, having a collection of them on hand for "thrifted art" is quite an advantage. Never pass one up just because it has a duck or palm tree in it!
    I really like the poster. Tried to get a translation, La Baule , the the range of the sun.
    Great collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have bought that globe, too! I've always thought about getting one when I see them at yard sales...but a light up one? Major score! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all!
    Who is the artist on the "Artist signed and numbered print: flea market $10"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds~ I'm a sucker for thrift store art myself & blog about it quite often. Your collection of black & white photos are great!
    The Globe is fun too...have seen a few around but there always seems to be a piece missing here or there so kudos and the excellent condition of that great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful finds! That globe in particular is a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found a similar globe last week. Aren't they awesome?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the globe love! I think it could be the beginning of a new collection:)

    @Anonymous - I have no idea, the signature is too scribbled! If anybody recognizes the print let me know.

    ReplyDelete