Sunday, October 3, 2010

Who Wants Eggnog?

Yesterday was a beautiful day but we didn't have alot of luck with yard sales. We did go to a couple of interesting ones though. One was in our neighborhood and was what appeared to be the lifetime collection of an elderly couple. There were a lot of his old woodworking tools and her various sewing notions. The sale was big and had so many interesting things to look at. There were several photograph albums of trips to brazil from the 1940's, pharmacist diplomas from the late 1800's, hundreds of old road maps, and lots of treasures collected over the years. Judging from the sale, these people led an interesting life. I purchased a flower pot, some vintage ribbon and was given a cool cigar box with a sliding lid.

Conversely, we went to a sale that left me just feeling sad. It was my first true estate sale held by an outside company. You were allowed to walk around the sparse home of an elderly woman who had passed away. Everything was priced (high) but in its normal place, even the items on the bathroom counters. It was just cold and sterile feeling and I made me wonder where her family was. I didn't buy anything.

Yard sales were a bust, but my luck changed at the Goodwill......


This is a McKee eggnog set from the 1930's or 40's. I bought it for $13. I had no idea what it was when I bought it but I remembered reading this post on The Ebay Life about Fire King glass and thought it looked similar. I did a ton of research (I literally had dreams about pyrex and milk glass last night) and it turns out that, like Fire King, McKee is highly collectible. I am going to put this up on ebay today and Im excited to see how it does. There is alot of McKee on ebay but nothing quite like this set.

This was an innocent little plant that sprouted from some compost in a succulent pot. It has now taken over my garden and is attempting to conquer the neighbors backyard as well. I finally cut these today and have no idea what I am going to do with them. The heaviest weighs 12 lbs!

5 comments:

  1. The eggnog set makes me wish I liked to drink it - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice egg nog set! Never heard of The Ebay Life before..looks great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I look at it sitting on my table the less I want to sell it and the more I want to throw a christmas party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sell those gourds on ebay!!!! Just kidding. When you come up with some ideas of what to do with them, let us know. I was thinking of birdhouses. Next year I'm planting loofa instead of gourds.
    I actually remember that kind of egg nog set. A dainty ladle would match nicely!
    Keep your eye out for the red bowl to the standard four-set of Pyrex mixing bowls... let me have the first shot before ebay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the eggnog set! I saw a set myself over the weekend and went back and forth and ended up passing on it. Of course I regretted that decision! Ack! Good find!

    ReplyDelete